Skip to main content

Pagal Basti review a by Anup KC

Fiction was never my cup of tea. But there are still few books that I cannot forget and stop praising it for its beauty. The Firm by John Grisham, Shogun by James Clavell, Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon are the few of them which have immense impact on my reading; fiction.


On my last visit to Nepal, I saw a book on the street and its titled पागल बस्ती. The name itself was appealing. I couldn’t resist myself from momentarily halting my walk and have a sneak peak on the book. I dropped it back after a few minutes of flicking over and walked away with a heavy heart without being able to decide if I should buy it or not; as I was unsure. Will I be able to finish it ?? or will my anger just take over my reading for not being able to comprehend.
But the battle continued in my head. I wondered what made him choose such a title, and what could be the content of it. I have heard the rumours that this book reflects his life but he has denied this comment in media and his book. It took him six years to complete this book. 6 years; long time for a book but it was worth every year I would say; after I finished reading it.
I could not hold myself from contemplating on content of the book. This battle in my head kept on going till the day of my departure. Then finally; before I left for the airport, I had to rush myself at the book store.
I was content with my purchase and couldn’t wait to land and get home and read the book. I did. Few pages and closed it. Few pages again and closed it. I had to read first few pages couple more time just to get the grip. Then I was on the smooth ride without any complication with few hiccups here and there but I was ok with that.
It’s a tragic story but has the potential of being a modern day equivalent of Romeo and Juliet in Nepali society/literature. It’s fascinating, depressing, humorous and contemporary, all, at the same time. It’s one’s battle for tradition, principles, way of life, morality and at the same time someone is rebellion on these grounds. It’s a constant battle; done in psychological and philosophical level. But it’s a supreme delight to read as well.
Love doesn’t hate and doesn’t stop loving on its rejection. It could be used as a force to give a new meaning to live/life or it could just crumble the individual. The variation it creates in human life before and after the understanding of one-truth is spectacular. This theme comprehends the whole soul of this book.
PS. This is a MUST MUST MUST READ.
The novel is available in digital form

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

खैलौना - राजेन्द्र थापाको उपन्यास समीक्षा

नेपली मोडल स्मिता थापाको अन्तरबार्तामा "मलाई लोग्ने होइन लोग्ने मानिस चाहिन्छ" भन्ने अभिव्यक्ति पढे पछि पत्रकार र लेखक राजेन्द्र थापाले 'खैलौना' उपन्यास लेखेका हुन । यो उपन्यास मोडल स्मिता थापा को जिबनी मा नै आधारित बनाएर 'युवा बयस्क' बर्गलाइ भनेर लेखिएको राजेन्द्र थापा बताउछन् । गितकार तथा कबि राजेन्द्र थापा द्वारा लिखित उपन्यास 'खेलौना'ले स्मिता थापाको मोडल जीबनको उतारचडावलाइ सटिक ढङ्गले शब्दमा उतारेलो छ। यो पुस्तकको भूमिकामा जगदिश घिमिरेले यसलाई क्रान्तिकारि 'डकुमेन्टरी उपन्यास' भनेर नामाकरण गरेका छन। उनी लेख्छन्, "यो एक फरक धारको यौन बिषयक उपन्यास हो। बिश्वका सबै भाषामा यौन आख्यान लोकप्रिय छन। तिनको मूल लक्ष्य हल्का-फुल्का मनोरन्जन हो। तर यस उपन्यासको बिषय मनोरन्जन होइन, यस उपन्यासका बिषय हुन - नेपाली समाजमा यौन प्रतिको बदलिँदो दृष्टिकोण, मुल्य, मान्यता र अभ्यासमा भएका क्रान्तिकारि परिबर्तनहरु।" जगदिश घिमिरेले भनेको जस्तै 'खेलौना'ले नेपाली समाजको परम्परागत शैलीको यौन सोचाइलाई स्मिता पात्र र लेखक इन्द्र पात्र मार्फत पठ

मिस्टिका रिभ्यु

कुमार नगरकोटीको पहिलो उपन्यास हो "मिस्टिका"। यो उपन्यास अरु उपन्यास भन्दा फरक छ । एउटा केन्द्रिया कथा वरिपरि घुम्ने उपन्यास मन पराउने पाठकलाइ यो उपन्यास मन नपर्न पनि सक्छ तर नकगरकोटीका पुराना पाठकलाई भने यो अल्छि नलाग्ने उपन्यास हो । तेसैले होला कतिपय समीक्षकहरुले यसलाइ एकदमै जेलिएको र बुझ्नै नसक्ने पनि भनेका छन । नगरकोटीमा शब्द चयन, वाक्य गठन र जटिल प्रसङ्गलाई पनि सजिलै सँग व्यक्त गर्ने सक्ने खुबी छ । उनको यो खुबीको प्रशंशकलाइ यिनै कुराको लागि "मिस्टिका" पढ्छन र रमाउछन । रु ५०० मूल्य राखिएको यस किताबको मूल्यको बारेमा पनि बिभिन्न टिकाटिप्प्णी गरिएका थिएअ । सुमन मञ्जरी ले "मिस्टिका"को बारेमा लेखेकि छिन: "मिस्टिका"मा जम्मा पाँच मुख्य शिर्षक रहेका छन् । ती पाँच मुख्य शिर्षक भित्र तेइस उप शिर्षक आएका छन् । यी सबै उप शिर्षकहरू आफैमा छुट्टै आख्यान जस्ता लाग्छन् । तर पनि आन्तरिक रुपमा वा अप्रत्यक्ष रुपमा मसिनो गरी यी आख्यानहरू एक अर्कोसँग आपसमा जेलिएका छन् । आपसमा जेलिएका घटनाहरू, जेलिएका र रहस्यमयी पात्र र तिनका रहस्यमयी कार्य, विचार अनि सोही अन

Adultery (novel) by Paulo Coelho

It is the sixteenth major book of Paulo Coelho, titled 'Adultery' is written in the core theme of adultery. The book was written in Coelho's native language, Portuguese and was released on April 10, 2014. The English edition is the book was published on August 19, 2014.